Renovations have given the West Winfield Village Hall some needed improvements and exterior changes.
The Village of West Winfield’s Village Hall, Bisby Hall, was in need of repairs to the front entry. Over the past several years, deterioration due to weather to the bases of the two front columns had caused the Keystone of the archway over the entrance to Bisby Hall to shift.
Bisby Hall on South Street was constructed by George Bisby and given as a gift to the Village in 1909 by his widow. It’s also been used as a theatre and movie house as well as for community events.
The Keystone is the wedge-shaped stone at the apex of the masonry arch and is the final piece that locks all the other stones into position allowing the archway to bear weight.
Upon inspection by a structural engineer, it was discovered that the supports to the columns were minimal and that a new support system needed to be installed in order to halt the movement of the archway and Keystone…