In 1937 Hamilton College received a gift of two bound manuscripts in the name of Mrs. A.G. Hopkins.
Mrs. Mary Miller, widow of Roswell Miller, Class of 1869, came from the estate of the late Professor A.G. Hopkins. The books were presented as by Mrs. A.G. Hopkins.
Professor Hopkins had taught Latin at Hamilton for 30 years until his death in 1899. His wife, Sophia, died in 1916.
No record remains on how Mary Miller obtained the two bound books, or why Sophia, and perhaps her daughter, kept them for many years after Prof. Hopkins died.
In meticulous detail, the books record the history of the Brothertown Indians relocating from Connecticut and Rhode Island to what is now portions of the towns of Marshall and Kirkland. By the early 1800s the Brothertowns moved west again, this time settling in Wisconsin, where the Brothertown Indian Nation remains in Fond du Lac.
This year those manuscripts were reproduced in digital form and are now available for public viewing on the college’s Archives website….