One longtime Clinton organization is celebrating its centennial this year, marking 100 years of taking care of people.
LutheranCares on Utica Street opened in 1919, under the name of the Lutheran Church Home for the Aged and Infirm of Central New York.
According to information provided by LutheranCare, “On January 13, 1919, Miss Martha Herbig, a member of Redeemer Lutheran Church, Utica, was instrumental in organizing a meeting of Lutheran pastors in the Utica area to consider the needs and possibilities of a home for the aged. The original intent was to provide medical and nursing care for the aged population in the local community.”
In February 1919, “a permanent organization was formed, a constitution was adopted, and the organization because incorporated.”
Ten acres was then purchased, “and the first ten residents were admitted by December 1920.” The name of the organization was changed to The Lutheran Home of Central New York in 1968.
Building projects intended to expand accommodations have taken place since the…